Announcement Sep 3 2018
EVEN DEADLINES CAN DIE: AS OF NOW AND THROUGHOUT 2019 IJMS&DS IS ADOPTING AN ALL-YEAR-ROUND PUBLISHING POLICY. HOW YOU MAY BENEFIT FROM SUBMITTING YOUR RESEARCH TO IJMS&DS:
- Fast review turn-arounds (one month on average)
- Immediate publication upon acceptance under the same annual volume
- No more endless deadlines (for you) and last minute bulk submissions (for us)
- 100% narrow-targeting a research community that is interested in cross-disciplinary between discourse analysis/semiotics and marketing streams.
Announcement Sep 2 2018
REBRANDING of the International Journal of Marketing Semiotics into International Journal of Marketing Semiotics & Discourse Studies as of the forthcoming issue Vol. VII:
- Accommodating more explicitly under the same conceptual umbrella the rapidly emerging field of inter-disciplinary studies between marketing research territories and the sister disciplines of semiotics and discourse analysis.
- A trend precipitated by new media studies and the progressive migration of social theoretic foci to a Web 2.0 environment, as well as the increasing convergence between media and marketing studies.
- Increasing adoption of a pan-consumptivist outlook in the scrutiny of cultural phenomena in cultural studies, cultural sociology, cultural anthropology which share discourse analytic methodological routes.
- Increasing prominence of multimodality in both semiotic and discourse analytic terms.
Announcement Sep 1 2018
Call for New Editorial Board Members
- If inter-disciplinary research between discourse analysis/semiotics and marketing lies within your focal areas and you are committed to contribute substantially to this burgeoning stream, then you are welcome to join the Editorial team at IJMS (to be rebranded into International Journal of Marketing Discourse Studies).
- Facts & Figures
- Established in 2012 and 6 volumes, 10000 unique visitors down the line, IJMS is currently the only journal that targets narrowly the research community that looks into ways of advancing inter-disciplinary research between marketing and semiotic/discourse analytic perspectives.
- Listed with SCOPUS ever since Vol.III
- With a vibrant Facebook community where news, reading materials and useful content are regularly posted
- Recognized by both the marketing and semiotics research communities
- Send your bio note / CV (email: email@example.com) and a link to your research, and become part of a rapidly growing community of researchers.
Call for papers: International Journal of Marketing Semiotics Vol.VII 2019
Submissions for Vol. VII are accepted from now and until the end of 2019 and will be published immediately upon acceptance based on our new all-year-round publishing policy (see relevant announcements).
CALL FOR PAPERS
Special Issue on Semiophenomenology and Consuming the Experiential
CALL FOR PAPERS
International Journal of Marketing Semiotics
The import of semiotics in the study of brands has been proliferating over the past twenty years, from academics and practitioners alike. By virtue of semiotics’ ability to account for the processes whereby meaning is generated, it constitutes the discipline par excellence for addressing the issue of brand signification.
Semiotic approaches to branding have been furnished both from within the semiotics (e.g. Floch, Semprini, Rossolatos) and the consumer research (e.g. Mick & McQuarrie, Stern, Williamson) disciplines. Semiotic approaches have been incumbent on different perspectives in the semiotic literature, such as Peirceanism, Structuralism, Social Semiotics.
Semiotics have been applied in various marketing related research areas, including strategic brand positioning, brand identity, brand equity and brand image, advertising copy development, advertising encoding and decoding, retail branding, media messages, package design, to name a few.
The usefulness of semiotics consists both in furnishing typologies of brands as signs, as well as a conceptual and methodological platform for designing and managing brands as sign systems. As an applied market research tool, semiotics have been used either as a standalone research method or in combination with other qualitative and quantitative research techniques. Semiotic concepts have been used in order to single and map out cultural codes, product languages, consumer typologies, alternative communication and packaging routes.
The International Journal of Marketing Semiotics & Discourse Studies aims to host state-of-the-art research alongside dominant and emergent streams, while favoring an inter-disciplinary orientation. Both conceptual and applied semiotic approaches in the above fields of research are welcome.